One of the objectives of PEN International is to defend freedom of speech. In this aspect, PEN Català’s Imprisoned Writer Committee works for the benefit of writers, journalists, translators and editors from around the world that are in danger due to their work. The main channels through which the Committee achieves its aims are:
- Inform through the media cases where freedom of speech is violated.
- Organise public events to commemorate designated days.
- Promote recognition and dialogue between cultures and literary traditions.
- Write letters of appeal in favour of prosecuted writers.
- Accept some of the prosecuted writers as honorary members of the association and constantly follow-up on their cases until all attacks against them are put to an end.