One of the objectives of PEN International is to defend freedom of speech. In this aspect, PEN Català’s Imprisoned Writer Committee works for the benefit of writers, journalists, translators and editors from around the world that are in danger due to their work. The main channels through which the Committee achieves its aims are:
- Use the media to inform the public of cases where freedom of speech is violated.
- Organise public events to commemorate designated days.
- Promote recognition and dialogue between cultures and literary traditions.
- Write letters of appeal in favour of persecuted writers.
- Accept some of the persecuted writers as honorary members of the association and constantly follow up on their cases until all attacks against them are put to an end.