PEN Català Translation Prize
In 2016, the first PEN Català Translation Prize was organized in order to recognise the best Catalan literary translation published during the previous year as well as to distinguish and honour the translator and their work to create bridges between cultures
This prize was created to give visibility to those translators that follow the standards of Visat, PEN Català’s digital magazine that, since 2005, has consolidated itself as a point of reference in the field of literary translation.
The regulations and criteria for the PEN Català Translation Prize are as follows:
- All literary works translated from any language into Catalan that have been published with a 2017 ISBN can apply for the 2018 PEN Català Translation award.
- The awarding panel will be composed of five translators selected by PEN Català. 2017: Joaquim Mallafrè, Susanna Rafart, Izaskun Arretxe, Ramon Farrés and Ricard Ripoll.
- The panel will consider the following elements:
A. The quality of the translation
B. The importance of the author or of the translated work and the absence of their work in Catalan
C. The originality of the proposal
D. The impact of the translation within the literary ecosystem of the country
- The verdict of the award will be announced during the celebration ceremonies of International Translation Day (30th September 2018).
- The prize consists of a piece of artwork, owned by PEN Català, by a well-known artist.
- The panel will have the authority to resolve any issues which are not covered in the above criteria.